Friday, September 4, 2020

ISP wan/exchange questions

Hi!

I work for a small ISP and we are looking to switch up our Wan. We are looking in to connecting to an exchange. We would connect to AMS-IX or NL-IX so rather big exchanges with most of the big players connected to it.

Right now we are not connected to an exchange and just have 4 transit lines with different ISPs. My biggest question is if I connect to an exchange what kind of transit lines do I need to keep. We will of course keep at least 1 transit line in case something happens to the exchange or one of the players on it.

What percentile of traffic can we expect to run over the exchange?

Let's say I am connected to 1 exchange and I have 1 transit line, if there is an outage of the transit line can all traffic be routed over the exchange?

Why would I keep normal transit lines over just connecting to an exchange?

Sorry if these are noobie questions but I am kinda new to this side of networking.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment