Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Smart Office Fail: TP Link Plugs Won't Stay Connected to TP Link Servers, Local Only Control

Cross post from Mikrotik subreddit too in case it's specific to office router...

Finally getting around to playing with some smart plugs to start offering services to my clients for smart offices and am running into a network connection issue.

I have a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ with a fairly simple setup (DHCP, NAT, Firewall, a few VLANs) for my office. One of the VLANs is an IOT VLAN and I am trying to get TP Link Smart Plug Minis to work on my network. When I first boot up the plug, everything works fine, it joins to WiFi, local control and control of the plug over the internet works great. After almost exactly 5 minutes, the plug switches to "local only" control in the TP Link app and access to the plug over the internet doesn't work at all, it shows the plug is offline. About 10 minutes later, the plug briefly drops off network completely it seems and then rejoins and now works fine again. This process of working, then not working, then working again repeats over and over.

At first I thought maybe it was PiHole blocking something with TP Link servers, but the plug does work fine at first and I changed DNS on router to use 8.8.8.8 and it still had same problem anyway. I brought the plug to another location (a mikrotik router as well with built in wifi) and the plug works fine there non-stop. I also tried a different temporary access point on the network in case the main AP had some weird issue with the TP Links. I also disabled 5GHz on the APs.

So obviously the plug doesn't have a problem and it's something with my office setup causing it to not work. I am out of ideas.... and I have no other issues with any other device on the network or any VLAN.

Any ideas smart networking people?



No comments:

Post a Comment