Thursday, August 27, 2020

No connectivity between switches over fiber

I'm deploying a switch to a new building and I cannot get them to see each other (no activity light, no ping, no lldp).

The connection goes (from MDF to IDF), Ruckus ICX 7150 --> 1G Brocade SX SFP ---> 50/125 MM patch cable --> MM 50/125 fiber drop --> 50/125 MM patch cable --> 1G Brocade SX SFP --> Ruckus ICX 7150

Things I've have done:

  1. Test fiber drop lines for signal and correct polarity (-6.41db)
  2. Test a different patch cable in the IDF (I should swap out cables in the MDF to be sure, so that's next on my list)
  3. Swap out and test the MDF switch with a different and known to be working HP switch and matching HP SFP
  4. Make sure ports are enabled
  5. Make sure STP is not blocking port (both STP and 802.1w are disabled on both ends.
  6. Made sure switches can see the SFP installed.
  7. Both Ruckus switches are on same firmware
  8. Vlans are tagged the same on both ends on the port
  9. Logs are not showing anything indicating errors, blocking ports, or anything else as far as I can see

We have made this work over other fiber drops so I know it can be done. I feel like I'm just missing something easy and stupid. Any ideas where I could try troubleshooting would be appreciated!

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment