Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Internet "stuttering": DSL vs HFC?

Hi All,

I have a home internet subscription using HFC. Compared to DSL (at least in my country), HFC gives a usually higher bandwidth, but with slightly less stability compared to DSL. And indeed, I regularly suffer from small "line hits". Symptoms are either DNS failed requests, or at application level, many times, I open a webpage, nothing happens, and I need a refresh (or 2) to then immediately see my page.

I'm seriously considering to switch to DSL to hopefully get more stability.

Is it known and acknowledged that indeed, DSL tends to give you more stability and better tolerance against very short lines hits? Is there a consensus on the straights and weaknesses of DSL versus HFC?

Many thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment