Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Installing Cisco ACI Simulator on ESXi - no network connectivity

Hello,

Trying to get ACI Simulator running at work and it is not working.

Install instructions are very minimal - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/3-x/simulator/install_vm/b_Cisco_ACI_Simulator_VM_Install_Guide.html

Basically accept all defaults, put in the IP with default GW and you are good to go. I have tried it at home with Vmware Workstation and it just works, as simple as described.

At work though it doesn't and to make it much more fun, I have 0 access to the vmware environment. I have to submit a request and some nice guy with Indian name will work on it and will deploy it. And then I could do some remote screen share, but latency of what feels 15 seconds between me pressing a button and me seeing a response to that button doesn't really yield to good troubleshooting session. From networking side - no ARP entry. VLAN seems to be correct, so does the IP.

Install says to use promiscuous mode on the network, which can't be enabled easily (welcome to corporation with policies and lengthy exception process), but to be honest I don't understand why it would be needed - it's just a single IP on a single VLAN. And I don't believe promiscuous mode is enabled in Workstation anyways, but it works there...

So has anybody installed ACI Simulator recently on ESXi host? And if yes, did it just work or did you have to tinker with it a bit?



No comments:

Post a Comment