Friday, August 7, 2020

HP - IPv4 routing (HP 5500 (formerly A5500) )

I'm trying to figure out a weird issue where users have intermittent timeout errors when visiting the internet. So far I've excluded DNS, firewall, antivirus, ... Except for a third party change some longer time ago (most likely culprit now) combined with some historical unnecessary routing, I'm running out of ideas.

To understand why it's intermittent, I'd like to know more about the IPv4 routing.

  • is the preference/priority value handled first; or does the switch processes the rules according to their submask if there's some overlap?
  • I'm always confused by "priority". Sometimes lower number is more important/preferred, sometimes higher. What's the case with this switch?
  • is there a difference in processing order between 'static' and 'dynamic'?


No comments:

Post a Comment