Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Electrical engineering questions regarding PSUs

Hello everyone,

As we are getting more and more energy cautious these days, I have a couple of questions answered regarding the power drawn by our electronic devices. I think to be lacking basic electrical knowledge which I will try and cover.

Suppose you have a server/switch/whatever appliance and has 2 PSUs for redundancy. Each PSU is 1000W and both of them are plugged in. Does that mean the appliance draws 2KW of energy? Or is the passive one drawing the minimum amount to stay up?

My second question is regarding "modular" power. I want to budget the power coming from the PDU and I want to put as little strain as possible, because we had an outage not long ago. If, for example, I have a pair of PoE+ capable 3850 switches in a DC with no PoE devices and I put a PoE capable PSU, does the switch draw the minimum amount of power from the PSU (power for the switch to function properly) or does it waste the full power in case a PoE device requests it?



No comments:

Post a Comment