Saturday, August 1, 2020

Cogent Communications co-location and connectivity to Cox Communications network

Hello,

We just started to co-locate our equipment at Cogent Communication's datacenter in Phoenix. Prior, we had co-location at Phoenix NAP (right across the parking lot actually!) with a 3rd party who has multiple carriers (GTT, HE and more).

Cox is in the meet me room at Phoenix NAP. Our Phoenix NAP co-location had excellent connectivity to the Cox network. I can reach Cox Business fiber optic customers at 3.5 ms latency on average.

With Cogent however, this latency has gone up to 24 ms average.

I called tech support and opened a ticket and they said their routes go to their DC in LA, then over to CoreSite and then back to Phoenix. I asked them if this could be optimized. They said no.

Are they telling me the truth? Or do I have to accept this now? I don't see why they can't connect to Cox, right across the parking lot at Phoenix NAP. I am sure I'm missing something here but it seems ridiculous for traffic to make a trip to the west coast, turn around and come back to Phoenix.



No comments:

Post a Comment