Friday, August 21, 2020

Cat6a structured cabling sensitivity

Doing a job for a company temp site move and I am installing/config the networking gear, its a new office with new cable runs put in by the electrician from the office floor.

I was out in the office pre racking the switches in the comms rack and, for cleaner runs from the panels to the switches in the comms cab, I moved a couple of the patch panels and cable management arms (up or down a U or 2) in order to rack the switch.

As I was finishing the electrician who had ran the Cat6a to the panels came into the comms and worriedly asked me to not move the patch panels. Apparently he had some issues after other panels he had just ran to the same location were moved by another guy. His cable testing was clean before the panels were moved but some ports were faulty after they had been moved.

His reasoning was Cat6a panels in general shouldnt be moved post install due to the sensitivity of the Cat6a cable. I told him it was unrealistic to expect people to never move panels in a rack, but he seemed an alright guy and I felt for him as he was under pressure.

I had finished what I was doing anyway when he came to me. So he is telling me there might be issues, but he will fix/re-terminate if needs be.

Looked like shielded Cat6a, any truth in what he is saying?



No comments:

Post a Comment