Saturday, July 4, 2020

VLAN help please! Network has scrambled my brain

My Network Diagram simplified.

Dabbling in VLANs for the first time, followed the guide from: pfsense baseline setup. The setups are almost identical, and has been helpful to help me understand a lot of pfSense. This is my second pfSense setup and I retired my old setup which had a flat network no VLANs.

Right now Unifi AP1 which I want to assign to the "MGMT" VLAN on the 10.0.10.0 network, but the problem is the physical location which connects directly to PORT 2 on my pfsense router assigned as LAN - untagged - 10.0.1.0. This is because there is only one wall cable per major area going to the closet. I don't know how to get this AP1 to connect to the PORT 4 which I've assigned every VLAN in pfSense.

Each Unifi AP is controlling which VLAN it's assigning wireless clients via a different wireless network: "GUEST" wifi network goes to VLAN 40, "MGMT" goes to VLAN 10, etc. I want to have the same experience on wifi when connecting to either AP.

I'm open to getting different equipment if it makes things easier. I feel like I bought the wrong managed switch and should have bought a layer 3 managed switch instead although I'm not sure why I would need L3 or how it might improve my situation? I cannot buy a loud or giant device intended for a server room or rack as the closet is in a central location unfortunately.

Am I doing this VLAN thing correctly? I've been sitting on this for a month now trying to figure out how to "fix" or properly have my network setup. You can probably tell I don't know what I'm doing lol.

Is this how you would setup your network with VLAN?

Any help is graciously appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment