Sunday, July 5, 2020

Options for hand-held 10g copper link testing equipment on a budget

I need to test some medium-length in-wall cat5e and cat6a runs before buying some equipment. Some are older cat5e coupled half way along a 50 foot run to cat6a and some are just older 50 foot cat5e all the way through, so I want to confirm a reliable 10g link can before purchasing some 10g gear

In the past I’ve had 2 switches available with a 10g port in each- enough to at least go beyond testing just basic continuity and actually confirm 10g link negotiation just using the link LED. I don’t have any extras now, so I’m looking into options for hand-held testers

My requirements are basic, but I know this equipment is pricey. I’d like to be able to confirm 10g can be negotiated and ideally test latency and packet loss. I don’t need anything high-end. This is for personal use so I’m trying to stay on budget. I figure buying something used from eBay would do the trick, but I’d like something that will last because of the cost

I’m asking because I don’t know the brands, there is a big range of prices and I don’t want to go cheap.

Recommendations on brands or models? I only want hand-held devices, no dependencies on a laptop or software. Also, only copper RJ45. No fiber testing needed



No comments:

Post a Comment