Thursday, July 23, 2020

Video Conferencing & WiFi

What is the current general consensus for video conferencing while on WiFi or hard wired? I am currently a network engineer for a medium organization. Teleconferencing demands are increasing dramatically due to covid, everything felm zoom, Skype to web ex meetings.

When asked if the current WiFi will support the increased of when met with complains of crashes and choppiness what should I be looking at? I am currently armed with prime and an ekahau but I thought they voice and video had quality of service demand along with latency demands.

In a Cisco environment are there minimum wap specs I should be looking at? I usually tell them that I would rather they used wired connections for video conferencing and I had understood that WiFi is still one collision domain and if there are several devices there will be issues. Also some places still one have fast Ethernet for the Waps while others will have gigabit feeding the waps. In the end these sites are connected via mpls and then connect to the internet thrift ojr main noc.

Any advise will be helpful. I am currently an network engineer with ccna route and switch but barely getting experience in this aspect especially wifi assessments.



No comments:

Post a Comment