Saturday, July 18, 2020

Some questions on remote/cloud management for someone considering moving from UniFi Switching to Aruba

I own a small MSP that does all UniFi hardware at customer sites. APs and Switches mainly. Total of about 500 devices in the field.

I have a UniFi controller hosted in a VPS that all hardware reaches back to for configuration and monitoring. It works very well and only costs $25 a month which is the cost of the VPS.

I first cut my teeth working corporate IT with older HP Procurve stuff. Back when the 5400zl was on its way out, the 2910al was the top-of-rack switch, and the 2530 had just come out as the end-user edge/access switch.

UniFi's 48 port Pro series switch (USW-Pro-48-POE) costs me about $1050. I was looking at pricing on the Aruba 2530-48G-PoE+ Switch (J9772A) and saw that it was around $1600. I know it's a layer2 only switch but that's all my current UniFi stuff is and feature wise, that's fine with me. I think the 2530 is a far better built and more stable product than the UniFi stuff and it comes with that juicy lifetime warranty.

So I'm considering Aruba switches but my question is on remote management. I can VPN to each customer site and then SSH into the switches to configure them but this seems awfully inefficient compared to what I have now.

So with that background in place, Here is the question: Does Aruba have something comparable to the web-based configuration that I have with the UniFi controller? Does it work well/is it easy to enroll new devices? And how much does it cost per switch/AP per month?

General impressions are also welcome. :) Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment