Saturday, July 18, 2020

Miserable with internship

TL;DR - New internship with service provider company. I hate the work I'm doing - NATs, ACLs, very menial and unmeaningful work. Very standardized and surgical work. Is all IT like this? There are good benefits, should I leave after internship or hold out?

Long post - I would still appreciate any feedback.

Hello, I am needing a some advice from the experts who have been in the space for a long time. Yes, I realize that career questions aren't usually welcome here, but this isn't a question about how to crack into the field, but whether I should stay. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I am 19 years old and I am pursuing a 2 year IT degree at a community college. The degree includes CCNA, Microsoft and Linux content. One of my adjunct professors liked my performance in class and asked if I wanted to apply to her team at a large health IT company as an intern.

I started in May and the whole company is working from home with no plans to return until at least next year. This is a large corporation. We create software solutions for hospitals and have large staff teams to support our clients. Not going to explicitly name the company, but there's only a couple of companies who dominate this industry in the US, so take your guess.

My job is a very support-oriented job. We work NATs, ACLs, VPN tunnels, load balancers, etc, but currently as an intern I'm starting with NATs and ACLs. I am extremely miserable in this job. All of the tickets I get are very similar. For example, a client puts in a ticket to NAT their address so they can access our datacenters, or a ticket to open a firewall port to allow a solution through. Our datacenters are extremely complex and interwoven, and it feels very impersonal and surgical. It's so complex that a lot of the existing engineers still don't know where everything is or how everything works. We use Cisco, Palo Alto, f5s. But it feels very mundane and tedious. The best analogy is that it feels like helpdesk -- for networks. I have worked a few helpdesk jobs before.

My boss is an excellent manager. I am very fortunate to have her as my manager and she was also an excellent professor. I can't bring myself to tell her how I feel about the job. I just feel very dead working this job, and it's making me question whether I'm in the right field or not. I know I enjoy the field - I've always been attracted to IT, I used to build networks at home as a little kid and obsess over operating systems and things kids don't usually like. So I do enjoy IT, but I didn't think it would be like this. I'm really feeling burned out and hate the work I'm doing. I was imagining it would be more like "here's a complex problem - go fix it" or "we need a new setup here - go build it". Not menial tasks over and over again like adding NATs or punching a hole in the firewalls. My big question here: are all IT jobs like this, or can I find something different in a smaller business?

I'm reluctant to leave because of the great compensation. The internship program is a year long, and afterwards I'll get hired on starting at 55-60k a year. The benefits are great as well. I finish my degree at the end of this year, so I'm looking to become an official team member in the spring of '21.

I do plan to continue for the full year, but I'm not sure whether I'll have the strength to carry on anymore after that. I greatly appreciate your advice!



No comments:

Post a Comment