Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Learning networking in detail and by example.

Hey guys. I've been interested in networking for a while, and have tried learning various things to some extent, mostly concerning the OSI model and the TCP IP protocols, but I just don't feel like I really get it. I have a general vague idea of how stuff works... but I don't really get it.

For computing basics there's things like the nand2tetris course, and if you're more interested, there's projects out there that are focused on teaching you to make your own OS. Is there some sort of equivalent of this for networking?

Something where you start of with a simulation of a wire, and you can see how 0s and 1s go across. Then you add some simple computer/device on both ends, that somehow figures out when the message begins and ends. Etc.

I'm sorry if this is vague, I don't really know how to explain it better - I'd just like to understand stuff from the bottom up and with concrete details. I'm sure there's various simulations you can do for general networking (configuring routers, seeing how the packets travel etc.), but is there something that let's you see the lower levels than that? Something where you really see the most basic signal of 0s and 1s. Or maybe even how exactly the analog signal gets converted into that, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment