Saturday, July 25, 2020

Issue with hard wiring multiple computers on the same network

I am currently trying to hard wire multiple computers to our router/modem and I can't seem to get it to function. We currently use the XB6 gateway from xfinity that acts both as a modem and a router. Out of the back we have one ethernet cable connected to a device, then a second connected to an unmanaged network switch (Linksys SE3005). Out of the network switch come two more ethernet cables leading to devices in different rooms. Why bypassing the switch (via a female to female ethernet extender), the computer can obtain an ip and access the internet just fine, but when things are routed through the switch, the computer cannot access the internet nor ping the modem. I have tried multiple cables, and verified they all function properly, and connection to the internet via wifi or bypassing the switch functions as expected. I have reinstalled network drivers on my device, flushed my DNS cache, tried using static and automatic IP on my network adapter, reserved an ip for my device through the modem, all without success.

Ive gone through many guides on the internet trying to solve this problem (most suggest the same sequence of steps) and all were unsuccessful. I am not sure what to do at this point, but I am fairly certain the problem is originating at the ethernet switch, not my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions?



No comments:

Post a Comment