Thursday, July 16, 2020

Colocating a few servers, do I need a managed or unmanaged switch?

So I currently have a few servers that are colocated at different datacenters. These are just single-server colos so I haven't had to do anything other than send them the server and they handle everything on the networking side.

I am considering renting a 1/4 rack and putting my servers there, but if I did that I would need to handle the networking myself but I am unsure of what kind of hardware I need.

The servers are used for VPS. Each server has about 15 separate VMs each with their own IP address. The datacenter is providing me with a /26 block.

Since all of the network for the VMs are managed on the servers itself, do I need anything other than an unmanaged switch? Or will I need a managed switch to handle the IP addresses being assigned to each server?



No comments:

Post a Comment