Friday, July 17, 2020

A Router/Mesh Solution for a Friend

Hey everyone,

So I’ve somehow ended up the position of sorting the bosses network out in his new office building, luckily the builders are in and can lay cables at the stage they are at with development so that’s that headache gone!

I did a degree in Networking Management 10 years ago but since ended up changing careers and am quite out of the loop with new technology/devices.

It’s mainly having good reliable WiFi coverage throughout the fairly large building which all have solid thick Yorkshire stone original walls.

My thoughts were to have a wired POE Mesh system, around 5/6 should provide enough coverage.

Staff will mostly be connected with WiFi there from working laptops, there will be around 20/24 wired plugin points In my mind which will probably go unused for the majority but need to be there. Cat6 or cat7? Never used Cat7 so I don’t have a hands on experience of what to expect but I do believe it’s still backwards compatible? will it be more troublesome?

Upto 2k on the hardware. Cabling and faceplates etc not included in that.

Looking for mesh device suggestions and any thoughts? Also any recommendations on switches and a central router. Maybe there is something else I haven’t considered?

Thanks in advance! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment