Thursday, June 18, 2020

Out of work CCIE, 20 years exp, what certs are worth pursuing to increase my job opportunities?

I'm solid on ISP protocols/tech but need to start picking up some of the newer shiny skills to compliment the core skills before I end up homeless.

If CCIE's were as valuable as they were a decade ago I'd pursue another. *tears in eyes* Sadly, they are not and Cisco is going to be flushed down the toilet like the rest of the turds. That's my bet.

I'm looking at AWS certs right now and am planning on doing the AWS certified solutions arch associate. Should I take it further than this? I looked over the network specialization cert which is supposed to be the most difficult. It looks easy but is it worth my time?

How about Google Cloud certs? Is there by chance some better opportunity here than say Azure? I'm still pissed off about Microsoft removing POP from Hotmail after I signed up in the 90s. Bastards. So I probably won't do any of the Microsoft certs.

I'm after the stunner effect. That look of fear/admiration in people's eyes when they find out you are a CCIE, basically a god on vacation hanging around with mere mortals in the IT department. That's long gone but I seek to replace it. LOL

I'm also looking at the Palo Alto which looks straightforward. No weird cloud crappy abstractions here. I likey. Me likey.

Firepower is an option but I get a bit nauseated when I think about taking another Cisco certification. Bad investment. I'm also hearing from security pros that Firepower is pretty crappy vs Palo Alto in terms of usability.

SD-WAN looks a little interesting but seems to be mostly baby stuff, clickity click, drag drop type work. Ok, to be honest it looks... BORING
Any ideas/advice for an old fart trying to hang with the youngsters for a few more years?



No comments:

Post a Comment