Thursday, June 11, 2020

Open Network Linux

Hi All,

So I've messed up. I didn't do my research properly and I've bought an edge-core AS5812-54X bare metal switch. My plan was to put Open Network Linux on it and everything would magically work. Like I said, I didn't do my research properly...

I've searched and searched for guides, tutorials, software to allow me to configure this switch. So far I've found nothing useful.

OpenSwitch looked the most promising at first but it isn't compatible with this switch. All the other supported NOS are commercial ones that you have to pay a fair amount for as far as I can tell.
I don't think my employer will give me a lot of money to go out and purchase one of these so, do you guys and girls know of any useful guides or anything that can help me get Open Network Linux up and running as a typical switch? I've read somewhere that Open vswitch can be used on top of a hardware switch as well but I've found no resources for how to set it up on actual hardware.

I also looked at Azure SONiC which strangely lists this switch as compatible but doesn't show any interfaces once it's installed. It looks like it due to the SAI provided by Broadcom not supporting the Trident 2+ ASIC. And if that's the case then I'm not sure why it's listed as compatible. But then it could well be me being relatively new to all of this.

I know... I'm an idiot. I won't be skipping the research next time, that's for sure.

tl;dr - I'm an idiot and I've bought a bare metal switch that I thought was going to be easy to set up. It's not and I need help.



No comments:

Post a Comment