Thursday, June 11, 2020

Fiber Gurus - Can I get 10G on OM1 to about 1,000ft?

A client of mine has fiber between two buildings but I just checked it and it is OM1. It appears to be this stuff. Basically, there are fiber patch panels in each building, not at ideal locations, so I need to run fiber between these patch panels and the endpoint switches in each building. It would be about 100ft in one building and maybe 250ft in the other building. There is going to be a Netgear M4300 at one end and a M4200 at the other end. SFP+ modules would be used.. probably 10Gtek brand if possible since they are less expensive than OEM.

My questions are:

  • Can I know if this will work without trying it and inspecting packet loss? I guess what I'm looking for here are success/fail stories...
  • If so, do I need very specific products to do this? I quickly found using single-mode SFP+ with mode conditioning cables is an option? Blind question as I haven't researched these yet. But, with my long panel to switch patch, not sure this is feasible.
  • Does it help if I run OM3 from the switches to some sort of media converter at the fiber patch panels to change from OM1 to OM3?
  • Or, should I give up hope and attempt to get OM3/4 installed. It may be tough as they've told me their building to building conduit is full, and I'm concerned about pull strength on new fiber.


No comments:

Post a Comment