Saturday, June 20, 2020

Automation has spooked me and i feel sticking to technical line will make us less vulnerable. What's your opinion?

I am a L2 network engineer (R & S,Security) with 7+ exp. I see automation begining to reduce the headcounts and i am reading articles which predict big impact of automation on job security in coming years(such as 50% of PM positions predicted to be eliminated in 7-8 yrs due to automation, etc).

So i feel sticking to technical line and not moving to non-technical/mgmt positions and upskilling myself with several in-demand skills like python scripting, wireless,etc might make me more indispensable for the employer. I feel automation may be able to do L1/some L2 tasks but can't replace you if you possess high level skills. But iam wondering if the same thing can be said about a non-technical management position (with few exceptions) whose skills are more commoditised?

What are your thoughts on how we can make ourself less dispensable in the face of massive automation in coming years?



No comments:

Post a Comment