Saturday, June 20, 2020

Anyone used/using Microsoft Network Monitor?

Has anyone ever used this before? I'm using it right now to capture some packets. What I've set up is as follows: my Android mobile phone acts as a Wi-Fi hotspot and my laptop is connected to it. So I'm capturing packets on Microsoft Network Monitor and the signal strength values are... positive... wtf?

Like, when I put the phone right next to the laptop, I get values of upto 77... and then when I move the phone away, the values drop to 50s and 40s... Shouldn't RSSI values be negative? What is causing this? And how can I fix it? Are the units not dBm somehow? What am I missing?

I don't know how else to capture packets on Windows and measure the signal strength. Wireshark doesn't work. Unable to find anything about this particular issue on the internet.


If this is not the right subreddit for it, please tell me where to post it instead. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment