Thursday, May 21, 2020

vLAN and Segmentation Question

I have a small business that I have been tasked with helping. The setup is a Comcast Business Gateway and an SG500X-24 switch in Layer 3 mode. The office is a building with individual suites in it that will have internet provided to them as part of their lease. There are 8 suites in the building and each will need their own subnet and none of the offices should be able to access anything but their own traffic and the internet.

So that is the setup.

Currently I have configured the SG500X switch and tested and can achieve the following:

-The switch (10.1.10.10) can ping all of the gateways for each of the vlans (192.168.11.1-192.168.17.1)

-The vlans can all ping the primary switch IP

-None of the vlans can ping any of the other vlans (using ACL's)

-The switch (10.1.10.10) can ping the Comcast router (10.1.10.1) as well as get to the internet (8.8.8.8)

-Any computer that plugs into the correct ports on the switch is issued a DHCP address that corresponds to the vlan that is assigned to that port.

-Computers with a DHCP address can ping their gateway IP as well as the switch IP but can not ping the gateway for any vlan other than the one they are currently on

The problem comes when trying to get any of the vlans to talk to the router. They cant get past the switch. I have set up static routes (192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.10.1 and so on for each vlan) in the Comcast router but still am unable to get any communication between the router and the vlans.

Router: 10.1.10.1

Switch: 10.1.10.10

VLAN 11-17: 192.168.XX.0/24

I know that the initial response will be 'ditch the Comcast and get a real router' but unfortunately funds are basically non-existent and I have to work with what I have. If I have missed something completely basic please humor me, I am a systems guy that very rarely gets this far into networking but I was handed this and told to make it work. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. If needed I can post a comment with the running config from the SG500.

edit: fixed formatting



No comments:

Post a Comment