Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Using public DNS for large public wifi - will I hit rate limit issues?

Has anyone had experience with a very-large public wifi using free DNS as a resolver? Specifically Cloudflare, Google, and Quad9. Historically I have been pointing our guest traffic at Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and haven't had issues but we are going to install some larger venues soon and I worry about potential rate limit issues when I do NAT overload. Some of our large locations can hold well over 100,000 people - if we get a large uptake on wifi usage it could be interpreted as a denial of service attack.

Has anyone dealt with this issue or is this not a problem? I've read that Google limits to 1000 queries per second, I can't really find info on Cloudflare or Quad9. Do I need to just build my own resolvers and use root hints? Should I just make a large NAT pool to spread the queries over a bunch of IP addresses?



No comments:

Post a Comment