Saturday, May 16, 2020

SP - OSPF+BGP - redistribute customer connected into either? both?

Good morning networking collective!

I work at a service provider and came across an inconsistency in our network this this morning while doing a service turn-up: on some distribution routers we redistribute connected into OSPF, and others we redistribute connected into BGP. All of these are customer-facing provider ports where we are the gateway.

Our network is a pretty standard OSPF on infrastructure + BGP overlay, which is why I find it interesting that we're redistributing connected into OSPF ... I can only think its because a predecessor -- or even previous me -- put that in as a quick 'make sure the routes get in' solution. Our normal policy is "internal routes+infrastructure in OSPF, ALL customer routes in BGP!" which is why I was surprised to see OSPF redistribution turned on.

What is the best practice for this? Redistribute connected+static into BGP only, plus OSPF passive-interface as default, then enable OSPF for only specific interfaces? That is where my head leads me.

Thanks for your input!



No comments:

Post a Comment