Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Recommendations for creating 10GbE subnet

I'm looking to set up a 10GbE connection between my Synology NAS and my video editing workstation. Currently my entire network is gigabit, but ideally I'd like to only replace the connection between the two devices.

Here's a simple diagram showing my setup and current ideas. (I'm a real networking novice, please bear with me)

I think I'd prefer idea 2 (10GbE switch between the devices) but I'm not sure if the data has to go back to the router when communicating through the switch (thus defeating the purpose). The NAS has a static IP address and I've tried disconnecting the current switch from the router and the workstation and NAS maintain connectivity, so I believe it would work.

I would really appreciate any input or feedback on anything I may be missing here. Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment