Saturday, May 30, 2020

Network/cable tester tools and hardware

Hello everyone

Long story short is that my Pockethernet broke (again), the first time being the charging circuit dying which is a known issue for PE and they gave me a replacement. This time the wire mapping functionality is damaged in which the tester believes that all cables has the same broken conductors. Sad to say I can no longer trust Pockethernet in a professional environment because having 2 testers die in less than 2 years is not to my liking. Not to mention their support is basically non existent, real updates haven't happened in years, and from my reverse engineering of the android software and the hardware, there is underlying firmware bugs which are scary to say the least.

I am currently making due with a klein scout pro 2 but it is missing features that I use on the regular maintaining multiple locations consisting of over a thousand drops. My role is to run new drops and to identify, label, troubleshoot, and find any other drops in the buildings.

With that being said I am looking for a tool that can do (In a sub $1500 price range):

  • Wire mapping, fault finding, etc (with a remote end. Wire map ID's optional)
  • POE testing (voltage, class, etc)
  • TDR
  • Link establishment
  • CDP/LLDP/VLAN discovery
  • DHCP polling
  • Port Blinking

Optional features would be:

  • Built in Toner (Analog and/or digital)
  • Ping, external IP, network tests
  • Reporting (PDF)
  • Bit Error Rate tests

I've been eying a few tools but they either don't have a KIT that has everything I need, or I would need to purchase multiple tools to do the job that the Pockethernet did by itself.

For example the Platinum Tools Net Prowler seems to have everything I need, but I've seen reviews that it can only negotiate up to 100BASE-T, and that 1000BASE-T is software discovery. This is kind of useless when you need to make sure all your cabling can actually handle gigabit and not just assume it can. I have also looked at the Platinum Tools Net Chaser, but I haven't found much information on it other than that it is the net prowlers bigger better version. Another option was the klein VDV Commander which is a rebrand of the Platinum Tools Cable Prowler, and it does not actually have any network testing functionality besides link establishment.

I have also looked at the FLUKE MS2, FLUKE CIQ-100 and FLUKE LRAT-1000 (and 2000). The first and second tester is great if I was only interested in copper terminations, but it lacks any networking testing other than detection of a switch on the other end of the cable. The second tester seems to be well rounded and exactly what I want, but I can't find any KITS that has all the essential pieces. For example the FLUKE LRAT-1000 does not come with a wire mapping end from what I can see. The FLUKE LRAT-2000 has a kit with a single wire map end, but it is not available off amazon. I did manage to find a complete kit including multiple wire map ends plus the digital tone wand (https://www.amazon.ca/Fluke-Networks-LRAT-2000-Kit-LinkRunner-IntelliTone/dp/B007FR6T6A), but the price is a bit steep for me.

Can anyone suggest a tool that meets these requirements? It seems like I may just have to keep on using my klein scout pro 2 and purchase a secondary tool for networking troubleshooting such as a fluke linksprinter or the like although I wish to only have to carry around one tool.

Thanks for any suggestions



No comments:

Post a Comment