Friday, May 1, 2020

Network Project Documentation Fears

I was hired 3 months ago and the hiring manager believes he's hired me for the 'strong documentation' skills I put on my CV at my last job. Now he's expecting me to use those skills in helping to write project documentation for our new LAN refresh project that my colleague and I are about to undertake. It sounds like they brought me in on the strength of my documentation stills. However, I've never done anything like this before. I'm only used to making small infrastructure changes which, whilst these involved strong change management and strict documentation, they were nothing like the documentation this latest project requires. I'm just used to working off a low level design document that someone has prepared for me, and I simply go off and implement whatever's been described on it. Or I'm used to copying existing documents for repeatable changes. I'm scared to death of telling him that I don't think I have the documentation skills he thinks I have. I'm willing to learn whatever I have to, in order to become a better engineer. I don't know what documentation I'd need to deliver this project. I'm not talking about Visio, I'm not bad with Visio. I'm talking about written documents detailing the project, deliverables, requirements etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment