Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Cisco 3560 fresh config - Vlan1 is up, line protocol is down

This is my first ever experience with a piece of networking equipment of this scale and it's all foreign. I have a C3560G-24PS-S with v.15 IOS installed. I did a factory restart(is that what you call it?) and started fresh. I'm just trying to get it configured as a usable switch at this point. After that I'd like have it take over NAT, DHCP, etc, so that I can convert my wireless soho router into just an AP. This is all in the name of science and learning btw.

I'm following along with this youtube video. All was well and went accordingly until after we set the IP Address and issued the command "do sh int vlan". In the video the guy gets "vlan is up. line protocol is up." I'm not getting that however. I'm getting "vlan is up. Line protocol is down". Unfortunately I haven't the slightest idea what a line protocol is.

I should mention that I have the switch plugged into my Debian server via console cable/serial port and I have nothing plugged into any of the RJ45 ports on the front of this machine or the sfp ports. Further, the switch is in "STAT" mode as shown by the lighted indicator on the left side of the face of the switch.

Where do I go from here? Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment