Thursday, April 16, 2020

Why the DHCP offer is not a known unicast?

I understand that a DHCP Discover is send as a brodcast since the requesting client doesn't know any info about the DHCP server. However I wonder why the DHCP offer is send to MAC FFFF.FFFF.FFFF when the frame with DHCP discover message includes the MAC of the requesting client and could be used as the destination MAC for the DHCP offer.

I did test this behavior using packet tracer and it looks to me like it will be more efficient if only the DHCP discover would be send as a frame flooding. I am understanding correctly? Any technical reason for this behavior?

https://www.netmanias.com/en/post/techdocs/5998/dhcp-network-protocol/understanding-the-basic-operations-of-dhcp

P.D. This is a personal educational question not a college or exam question. I did research before posting but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment