Friday, April 17, 2020

Site-to-site VPN between firewall and Windows Server

Hi everybody,

I'm responsible for the IT of a SMB with 10 end users and currently planning on how to get rid of our on-prem server. There's nothing too fancy on there so I intend to migrate to M365 Business for AD, file server, Exchange etc.

However, we're using a small ERP system (Windows software with the need for a MySQL database) which can be moved to "the cloud" and I'm not sure how to handle it. I figure that I'd need a site-to-site VPN (that's also what the OEM told me) but the issue that I see is that we have a hardware firewall at our site but not at the datacenter where the cloud/virtual server would be located.

What would be the simplest/most straight-forward solution to get this working? I know about virtual firewalls but this comes with subscription costs and the need for virtualization. I found some articles describing how to make it work using only Windows Server but I'm not sure if/how this would really work. I'm also open to which hosting provider to use (I know Azure offers a site-to-site solution but I just can't figure out what the whole Azure solution would cost us) if there's someone offering this from the get-go.

As you probably figured out, I'm not a pro and will surely talk to my IT shop about how to approach this. I just wanted to know beforehand if moving our ERP system to cloud would be a viable option at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment