Wednesday, April 15, 2020

SFP+ compatibilities with SFP

I realize some of this may be based on vendor. But I have a newer project where there is a mIn office and then single mode fiber already ran to multiple other buildings. Building are small so was looking at 8 port POE switches that had SFP uplinks.

However most of the distribution switches I look at have SFP+. I need at least 8 ports SFP/SFP+ in the main office to go the different buildings.

Can I put an SFP transceiver in an SFP+ port and it step down to 1 gig SFP versus trying to do 10 gig. Really don't need the bandwidth and trying to keep project cheaper than doing 10gig everywhere.

Any thoughts or input would be nice. I don't usually touch fiber like this.

We were looking at like single mode 1310nm SFP transceivers. It's hard to find general rules of thumb on compatibilities. Have googled a few things and still unsure on how or if this would work.

Any thoughts, advice or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment