Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Networking Tool Tips Thread

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to my job so I will programmatically solve my problems within reason. I thought it would be cool to share tool tips or tricks that make fellow JANG's lives easier and I'll start with two.

  1. You can use excel to build out network interface description commands that can be copy and pasted. (Cisco Example) Use Excel columns to built out the chunks of the command and use CHAR(10) to insert new lines. I used this particular solution to configure the interface description of 36 Cisco 6513's in minutes.

  2. Notepad++ support Python scripts. This is somewhat niche (?), but I'm migrating from a firewall vendor that exports configuration to XML to a firewall vendor that supports configuration API that is in XML format. I've been using the PythonScripts plugin in Notepad++ to automate the conversion because I can't be bothered with doing it the manually on the fly with changes being made on the source firewall while we wait to cut over.

Share your tips and tricks that make your networking life easier!



No comments:

Post a Comment