Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Troublehooting fiber optic link - FX/SX consideration?

I have an industrial setting, with a fiber optic uplink from the production area to the IDF room. The area can get warm and humid. The fiber uplink is a new installation of OM3 cable. The switches at both ends are Cisco industrial switches IE-3000-8TC.

We're having some reliability issues with the link. The original installer had installed FS SFP-100FX-31 SFPs. When I replaced the SFPs to Cisco GLC-SX-MM-RGD SFPs, the problem seemed to go away. I just did it today, so I'm still testing to see if that fixed the issue.

I'm wondering if the problem is simply a faulty SFP, or if it's related to using FX instead of SX type optics.

I'm not really sure why FX optics were used. What considerations could there exist in an industrial environment to choose between FX or SX type optic?



No comments:

Post a Comment