Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Migrating from a 1941 to a 3945e... as a VM engineer

Hi there, I have been thrown in the deep end of the networking pool, our network engineer is in isolation and we are having issues with our Cisco 1941 router that is a million years old (roughly) randomly rebooting.

The connection is a basic ASA5515 --> 1941-->Telstra ethernet hand off thing.

I have an old 3945e sitting in the store room that I got up and running with MOST of the same config but I have hit a snag.

When I copy the config over there are 2 parts that either don't work or seemingly dont exist? The section below is where I fall apart. I can’t put a vlan on the 3945e. I can do a "vlan?" and it says database and I can manually create a vlan 1 in there but then I cant configure it at all.

Here are the parts with sanatiser on them:

ip inspect name fw1 tcp

ip inspect name fw1 udp

ip inspect name fw1 icmp

ip inspect name fw1 ftp

and the 3945e doesn’t know what they are, is this a firewall thing? I see it on the gi 0/0 interface on the 1941 but I don’t know what its for

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description connection to internet

bandwidth 200000

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252

ip access-group ISP1-in in

ip inspect fw1 out

duplex full

speed auto

ipv6 address xxxx:xxxx:xxx:xx::x/64

service-policy output pm-shape-queue-out

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Firewall External Interface

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Vlan1

ip address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy 255.255.255.248

ipv6 address yyy:yyy:yyy:yyy::y:yy/64

!

ip forward-protocol nd

!

ip http server

ip http authentication local

ip http secure-server

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Gi0/0 next hop address)

!

ip access-list extended ISP1-in

remark #--------  General Policy -------#

deny lotsa stuff

 permit icmp any any echo-reply

permit icmp any any unreachable

permit icmp any any time-exceeded

permit icmp any any echo

permit lotsa stuff

ipv6 route xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/56 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::x:x (this is the next hop on the vlan 1 ipv6 address)

ipv6 route ::/0 (Gi0/0 IPV6 address)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and feel free to explain it like im not a network guru, because... well I'm not



No comments:

Post a Comment