Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Combining Multiple Wireless WAN Sources?

So I'm going to be going to a convention at a hotel and we need bandwidth, about 8 MBPS uplink, to stream an event throughout the entire convention. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't really have facilities in place to support increasing the available bandwidth and we were told just to use the wifi at the hotel.

Our plan instead is to use a small linux box or even a raspberry pi to us volunteered phone-hot-spot bandwidths as WANS, combine them into a virtual interface, and then bridge them to the computer that's doing the streaming. I've tried doing this with various flavors of linux and ifenslave but as I understand it now 802.3ad doesn't apply to wireless interfaces since that operates at layer 2 and I need some means of combining bandwidth at layer 3.

As I understand it Twitch uses UDP for live streaming so I'm wondering if there's a tool that can load balance outgoing UDP packets across multiple interfaces or if there is a layer 3 link aggregator that will combine multiple interfaces into a single interface such that a single session gets the bandwidth of all aggregated links.

Thanks in advance for any pointers! I know this sounds like a crazy question.



No comments:

Post a Comment