Wednesday, March 25, 2020

ACL inbound and outbound, how they work ?

Hi all, hope you guys doing well under the current pandemic outcry. I'm a uni student majoring in networking technology currently studying CCNA routing and switching parts.

I am having some hard time understanding the direction of ACL application. I just practiced the concept with packet tracer, Router 1 has two directly connected networks 192.168.10.0/24 on G0/0 and 192.168.11.0/24 on G0/1. I configured standard ACL to deny all traffic from 192.168.10.0/24 and permit any. Applied it on G0/0 inbound means I will get 'destination host unreachable' icmp message when pining from PC1 [192.168.10.1] to PC2 [192.168.11.1]. But shouldn't pinging from the other way (from PC2 to PC1) work as I permitted any traffic?

Second configuration is I removed the same ACL form int G0/0 and apply to int G0/1 outbound. For this case, should the traffic flow in both directions be denied and I should get icmp host unreachable message?

I just quite don't get the concept of it and it becomes way complex when it comes to extended ACLs.

Would very much appreciate hearing from some network gurus :)

Thanks in advance and stay safe!



No comments:

Post a Comment