Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Help with selection of replacement gear

Hi guys. I'm hoping you can lend me your advice on which networking gear to seriously consider for our specific use case.

Depending on your definition, we're either large SOHO or small enterprise.

At HQ we're a single floor, open plan, with about 100 people. We have two remote sites with 30 people each. Most of the staff in each site are call center reps using a cloud-based phone system (RingCentral). We are almost all PC-based and don't have particularly high network bandwidth or latency needs - typical office apps and the occasional video conference. Fairly vanilla. Not a regulated environment but we do have PCI-DSS obligations and care about security.

All the gear at each location is pretty old and ready for replacement and I'm considering my options.

At the main HQ we have 2x Cisco 5525-X firewalls and 5x very old netgear managed switches. Wifi via a Cisco controller. The other sites have mid range prosumer gear. We have some tech resources and helpdesk folks on staff but no real network people so will be using an MSP for configuration and maintenance.

Our main use cases include:

  1. Reliable, secure, fault-tolerant, and centrally manageable wired and wifi. I want a switch or firewall to be able to die and it not be a giant disruption.

  2. Separate vLANs for some of our PCI obligations.

  3. No need to connect across locations: AD is in Azure and everything else we use is cloud-based. No SD-WAN or MPLS needs etc.

  4. VPN access for a couple dozen users while on the road, to access resources which are ip-whitelisted.

  5. Security features (UTM, data exfiltration, malware protection, etc) would be a plus - though I am snake oil allergic and much of this stuff strikes me as very expensive and hand-wavy.

  6. Cost matters. Brand, not so much.

My MSP is in love with Uniquiti solutions but I'm not familiar with them and am skeptical that they're not quite robust enough for us. I'm open to having my mind changed, and I do see a lot of good stories on them.

What info did I fail to provide which matters? What would be your top choices for gear in this sort of environment?



No comments:

Post a Comment