Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Recommendations for reliable wireless setup for class?

I started teaching a class of 14 students today and we had a lot of technical issues which took a lot of time away from actually teaching to fixing the issues. We currently have a consumer-grade D-Link DWR-921 which constantly dropped WiFi when there was too many clients connected. WAN connection seemed to work fine, albeit a bit slowly because we're using LTE to get past some restrictions set on the school's network, but LAN connections kept disconnecting and lagging all the time.

I requested a new device and I hope someone who actually knows about networking makes the decision on picking a replacement.

In the meantime, I was hoping if any of you could recommend a good, low to medium budget device or setup in case the new replacement is equally shitty.

So use case and requirements here:

- 14 students + 1 teacher, each one has a laptop and Raspberry Pi, so it should handle 30+ connections.

- Easy-as-possible management. I need to be able to set internal static IPs, port forwarding, see connected devices etc.

- Preferrably wireless but if the device count gets too high to work for wireless I think we may be able to get switches

- 4G/LTE option so we can access WAN without restrictions

I did a quick search on this sub and Ubiquiti was recommended many times, I just don't know which model/setup would be good for this use case?



No comments:

Post a Comment