Monday, January 13, 2020

Program for Testing Customised IP Headers?

I'm currently working on a university research project that involves modifying IPv4, and would like to test various implementations of my new protocol using real network traffic. I've been doing some work on Network Simulator 3, but it obviously doesn't create real traffic that can be sent to a physical router (which I would like to do eventually so that I can try reprogramming the router).

Can anyone recommend a program that allows you to control specific sections of a packet's IPv4 header? I want to start by changing the value of the 'Version' field (so that I can get a router to accept such packets, rather than automatically drop them), and I also want to modify the address fields to implement a new addressing scheme (which would obviously require modifications to the test router).

I've read here that the NetScanTools Packet Generator provides "full header control for predefined packet types", but I'm not sure if that feature is contained in the freeware version and I'm not willing to pay for the Pro version unless it has all the features I need.

On the other hand, the Ostinato Packet Generator is within my price range, but I'm not sure if it provides the necessary control over packet headers/protocols.

Thanks in advance for any help!



No comments:

Post a Comment