Monday, January 13, 2020

No DHCP for Virtual Machines over Host Wifi - HPE OfficeConnect Switch 1920

Hello,

We have an HPE OfficeConnect Switch 1920 switch connected to a Fortigate Firewall. There are several VLANs configured:

10 -Trust LAN/Trust Wifi

20 - Wifi Guest

30 - Security

  • Our wireless access points are configured to tag traffic from either the Trust or Guest network and it works perfect for our internal and guest user devices.

  • I have a virtual machine running on my Mac host and it refuses to get an IP address (Bridge mode, IP should be on same subnet as Trusted network) when I am using the Wi-Fi connection on my Mac.

  • When I hardwire it (trusted network) it works fine and when I go to other locations using my Wi-Fi it works fine. It's only not working at the office on Wi-Fi.

  • I did some packet sniffing and determined the host is sending out a DHCP request, the firewall is sending back an acknowledgement, but it's never reaching the client. Somewhere on the switch it's being lost for some reason.

  • If I set a static IP for the Virtual machine it also works fine when using the Mac Host on Wi-Fi. This is unfeasible though as a solution for all users.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment