Saturday, January 18, 2020

Network bonding without special tools, is it possible?

The accomodation I am staying at allows 5 simultaneous device connections per user to their wifi network. Interestingly, the speed limit is based per device rather than per user. In my case, each device is allowed 100mb down. Recently, I learnt about network bonding, which allows combination of multiple NICs. From my understanding, this should be possible as all of my 5 devices are connected to the same ISP. So my plan is to purchase 5 wireless dongles, connect them to a spare raspberry pi, and connect the raspberry pi to a router. If this works, I should be able to achieve 500mb down.

I have found a [commercial solution](speedify.com) for this problem. Their solution works by routing the packets of all NICs to their own server, and perform some aggregation there. As I do not have a separate server to connect to, I am simply wondering if networking bonding is possible without separate tools.

However, before I buy 5 dongles, I am wondering if this will work? If so, what is the latency like.



No comments:

Post a Comment