Friday, January 24, 2020

Help me find the bottleneck in my network

I have host A set up as my main gateway / wireless AP, configured in bridge mode. Host B connects to host A over WiFi and is able to access resources both on host A as well as on the bridged Ethernet network behind it.

Throughput between host B <---> everything behind host A is fine in both directions (>300 Mbit/s), as well as from Host B ---> Host A. Throughput from host A to host B, however, is not fine - it's stuck at around 5-8 Mbit/s. This is a problem, since host A is also a media center / file server.

But here's the most interesting bit. If I run a VM / container on host A, the problem disappears: data from the VM / container to host B flows at full speed.

Same story whether it's TCP or UDP. I checked with tcpdump, no dropped packets or retransmissions or window sizing issues.

All hosts running Linux (Arch, Ubuntu 16.04).

Any leads would be appreciated!

Network config details



No comments:

Post a Comment