Thursday, December 19, 2019

Tunneling my Internet traffic safe via my VPS?

So I have a low powered VPS, that I use for testing and do a couple mundane things on.

I recently posted about my work using SSL inspection. I read about using SSH tunneling as a work around. So I just want to confirm the security aspect of what I am doing or if there is anything I need to setup or secure on my VPS.

Using putty I setup an ssh tunnel and selected dynamic port. Specified a source port, let's say 8888. Connected to my VPS.

Opened up Firefox and specified custom proxy and selected SOCKS host 127.0.0.1 and the 8888 port. Verified traffic was flowing and confirmed my IP was showing the VPS IP on ipchicken and it's geo-location.

Is there anything I need to be worried about from the VPS side or the host being able to capture? IE if I did banking or anything transactions via using this connection?



No comments:

Post a Comment