Thursday, December 19, 2019

Switch for 3 people and 12 servers

The job is in the market for a new switch, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a SMB. It doesn't need to be anything super fancy, this would replace a 16 port Netgear, but it does need to provide metrics to see what's happening with it.

It's a small company, and the three employees and the twelve servers will be sharing the switch. Not the most ideal setup, but it will work until I get a bigger budget. I'm the systems engineer in the office, by the way, and while I'm very comfortable with Linux and Unix-like OSs, I haven't worked with networking equipment full time in a while.

Needed specs:

  • 24+ 1G+ ports
  • SNMP or some way to monitor it and collect metrics.

Nice to have but not particularly important specs:

  • LACP
  • Port Mirroring
  • VLANs
  • Jumbo frames
  • 10G+ uplinks
  • Ansible integration

Not needed specs:

  • L3 routing
  • Stacking
  • SPF ports

Budget: <$1K (US), preferably

Candidates:

  • Juniper EX2300-24T
  • Dell Networking X1026
  • Dell Networking X1052
  • FS.com S3900-24T4S
  • FS.com S3900-48T4S
  • TRENDnet TEG-30284
  • TRENDnet TL2-G244

Also, it does need to be new, and I don't need a support contract. I love refurb equipment too, but not right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment