Monday, December 23, 2019

Need Help With Setting Up Network For a Gym

I am on the management team for a new gym and am attempting to do all the networking as we are trying to keep costs as low as possible, this is certainly not in my job description. I have basic IT experience, and have done a good bit of home network setup, but this will be my first time setting up a network for a small business and I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Any help and guidance you all can provide would be very appreciated.

We have a gigabit fiber line to the business and the ISP installed a NetVanta 5660.

The internet needs to be routed from there to 5 wired workstations, and one wireless access point.

The wireless access point needs to provide internet access to gym staff's devices, and also to customers.

The gyms software is all cloud based and any documents will likely just be stored on Google Drive, meaning each device just needs to be able to connect to the internet, we don't need an intranet or shared drive/server.

I have already ran CAT6 cables from the network room to the locations of the workstations and wireless access point.

The big question is what hardware I need and how it all needs to be configured.

Again to keep costs low I was hoping to make due with a EdgeRouter 10X and one UniFi AP AC PRO. And then, just connect the NetVanta 5660 to the EdgeRouter 10X, then the workstations and the UniFi AP AC Pro to the EdgeRouter 10X. Create a staff wireless network and a guest wireless network. Do some QoS to give priority to the wired devices and staff devices and limit the bandwidth any one device can take up.

Do you think this will do well, am I missing anything? I am hoping the EdgeRouter 10X built in default firewall, blocking all incoming web traffic, will be enough. Additionally, how easy would it be to set this network up, do I need to do much configuration? Do you think anything specific needs to be done security wise for the workstations that will be doing transactions?

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment