Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Need help changing the Management VLAN and Management IP on SG300-10P

tl;dr Always lose connectivity to switch after trying to change management VLAN from 1 to 100.

FWIW, I can change the IP address if I leave the Management VLAN set to the default VLAN 1.

I'm using a Cisco SG300-10P switch.

Port 10 on my switch is connected to a corporate switch's trunk port which tags traffic from with the Corporate LAN VID 100. I want to set up my switch's port 10 as a trunk port as well, tagging traffic with VID 100. I'd like to use one of the corporate LAN IP addresses as a management IP address for my switch, so shouldn't the IP address belong to the VLAN Interface 100 and not 1 the default VLAN?

I want to change the management VLAN to 100 since the IP address is acquired from the corporate LAN IP address space, which the switch communicates with via port 10 (a port which tags egress traffic). I want to do this via an SSH connection because I can't get my serial cabling combination to work.

Every time I try to set the management IP address on interface VLAN 100, I lose connectivity to the switch and have to reset the switch to factory defaults. The following is how I've been going about this. Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong? I've tried this several times and I always lose connectivity.

  1. Go to 192.168.1.254 in browser
  2. Change password and enable SSH service
  3. SSH to the switch’s default IP
  4. Create new vlan 100
  5. Put all GE interfaces into trunk mode and add vlan 100 to them
  6. Change the mode on Port-Channel range 1-8 to trunk
  7. Add vlan 100 to Port-Channel range 1-8
  8. Show the vlan table again
  9. Turn off dhcp on vlan 100
  10. Assign an ip address to vlan 100 interface
    1. Can’t connect to the switch with new IP address
    2. Ping new IP address says host is down
    3. IP address doesn't show up in nmap scan of corporate LAN
    4. Device doesn't show up in nmap scan of corporate LAN

I'm very new to networking and configuring networking devices, so please excuse my errors in terminology, configuration, and concepts. I'm glad to provide clarifying information. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment