Thursday, December 26, 2019

Missing Default Gateway

As the title suggests, on our network the default gateway on numerous workstations regularly ends up getting "removed" in their network adapter settings and causes workstations to not be able to connect to the network. No one except for I.T. has the ability to even view those settings so no other staff is removing them.

Some of the situations that cause this is if the workstation is rebooted 98% of the time it will lose the network settings. I have tried to rebuild workstations that have this problem and in some cases only reinstalled the network adapter to see if that fixed the problem. This never permanently fixes the issue. Also, given that probably at least 75% of the workstations on the network have this problem, I do not think the issue is with the workstations themselves.

I can only guess that it is the DNS server or the umbrella service it uses. I say guess, because I don't have access to the group policy or DNS server settings because the I.T. director and the 3rd party network group only have access to those. I am trying to figure out the resolution for this since it has been going on for years and neither of those people are doing anything about it. I have an open ticket I created on this issue with that network group from a year ago already as it is. Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment