Tuesday, December 10, 2019

I'm a network newbie - alternatives to Flukes to just find VLAN number

Hi guys

I'm on a project that has various Cat6 run off in to the ceiling that then plug in to a desktop FTTO switch. Each port is configured with a VLAN for the end device functionality.

however, we only have 1 linkrunner and, yes, we can probably buy another couple but, i'm wondering if I can do this simple check with Wireshark on a laptop or android alternative alternative?

I have tried Wireshark and I can usually get it to show a lot of TCP/IP stuff but sadly, the VLAN (802.1Q?) info isn't listed where it is on the Linkrunner.

Devices: Windows 10 Surface Go
or
Samsung Note 9

Both connecting via an Euasoo USB Type-C Hub Pro (ES-HB300C) with an RJ45 socket. Windows shows this network card as an "SVN" in device manager and is made by Huawei. I'm unable to find any info on registry settings to pass the VLAN data up the layers for this card like I can find for Intel.

Am I heading to a dead end?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment